October 3, 2012

Vegan Potato + Kale Soup

I made a really great Potato + Kale Soup last night and wanted to share the recipe. It's especially great for fall.
Ingredients

2 T oil (I use grapeseed)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3-4 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced in 1" pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 T vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
3 T flour
3 cups vegan chicken stock (I use Better Than Bouillon)
2-3 cups unsweetened plain non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
1 cup vegan sour cream
1 small bay leaf
1/2-3/4 cup frozen corn
2-3 stalks kale, broken into bite size pieces
3 green onions, diced
Salt, pepper and parsley to taste (best results when you season throughout, building levels of flavor)

Heat oil in large stock pot on medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the celery, potatoes, garlic and red pepper and cook until slightly tender. Add the vegan butter and flour, cooking for a few minutes (so you don't get that raw flour taste). Add the stock, non-dairy milk, sour cream, bay leaf and corn. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, season with salt, pepper and parsley. Five to ten minutes before serving, add the kale and green onions.


2 comments:

JL Goes Vegan said...

I gave you a shout-out on my Week 1 Vegan MoFo round-up post today!

sarah-mai said...

Woo hoo! Thank you - love shout outs!!!