April 18, 2011

Pike Place Market

I was in awe when I walked into the Pike Place Market. It's such a lovely open air market with fruits, vegetables and flowers galore.  I happened to be there on a Wednesday, when they had even more local vendors set up outside.
Gorgeous bouquets of flowers...for $5!!!
Oranges, apples, pears, avocados, yams...
 Apricots, plums, lemons, lychees...
Lettuce, cabbage, cucumbers and beets...  
Garlic, leeks, tomatoes, peppers...
 Bananas and donut peaches...
 Curious looking romanesco cauliflower...
 Raspberries and queen anne cherries...and on and on and on.  Truly the best market I've ever seen.
There are also several restaurants inside of Pike Place. My husband and I stopped at The Athenian Inn for a quick lunch. As soon as we walked in, it was strangely familiar to me. Then I noticed the red plaques on the counter...this is where Rob Reiner and Tom Hanks filmed part of Sleepless in Seattle, one of my favorite cheesy, oh so sappy movies.  

'Hello Diane...take a look at these swatches'.
We started with the Roasted Garlic Hummus with fresh vegetables and pita.
And I ordered a vegan version of the Greek salad, perfect fuel for walking around a new city.

No comments: