October 21, 2011

Munch

Oak Park is just outside of Chicago, and happens to be the home of Frank Lloyd Wright. 

On a visit there last week, we discovered a really cute vegetarian restaurant downtown called Munch.
I was elated when I saw a Jack Fruit BBQ sandwich with coleslaw on their menu. I've heard of this sandwich on numerous blogs and couldn't wait to try it. Would it be sweet? What would the texture be like? How could fruit be good with BBQ sauce? So many questions...

It wasn't exactly sweet, but did have a hint of sweetness. The texture was almost meaty (well, faux-meaty, I haven't eaten meat since I was three). It was pretty incredible. Such great flavor and so inventive.
We left and walked around for a bit, exploring the many homes of FLW. But before we headed home, I stopped back in to get a Vegan Chocolate Milkshake for the ride home...heavenly.

6 comments:

CraftyEarthMama said...

Love BBQ jackfruit! That sammy looks amazing!

Amanda J said...

I had jackfruit nachos once and didn't really like the jackfruit.

I bet I would love the cookie dough shake, though. Especially if there was some peanut butter action in there, too!

sarah-mai said...

The jack fruit did have a foreign texture, and I did have to take out some of the bigger pieces, but I did enjoy the flavor. Milkshake was awesome :)

xvavaveganx said...

I've heard so much about jackfruit but never really knew exactly what it is! I love the name of the restaurant and that adorable little picture on the window! And the shake sounds yummy!

sarah-mai said...

My mom said she used to eat jack fruit all the time as a kid in Vietnam - they used to bread it and fry it :)

TRISTA said...

I would love to try a jack fruit sandwich. This looks amazing.