I have a really great recipe to share today...Wheatberry and Black Lentil Chili from Ely's To Go (my parents' restaurant).
Photo courtesy of Jim Pugh (my dad!)
Wheatberry and Black Lentil Chili
- 4 cups cooked hard winter wheatberry
- 1 box cooked lentils ( 17.6 oz) (Trader Joe’s sells a great version)
- 1 can organic fire roasted tomatoes ( 1lb 12 oz)
- 1 small jar roasted red peppers (Trader Joe’s sells a great version)
- ½ cup Chili 3000 ( Penzeys Spices)
- 2 Tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Indian ground cumin
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 2/3 cup diced bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced carrot
- 3 Tablespoons vegetarian bouillon
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon dry oregano
In large saucepan, add 2 Tablespoons light olive oil.
Saute the onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper with the vegetarian seasoning, soy sauce and brown sugar.
Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and ground coriander.
Cook until the mixture is caramelized and fragrant.
Add the cooked wheatberry and lentils.
Add water, allowing about an inch above the level of grain mixture.
Add the fire roasted tomatoes.
Allow the chili to simmer for an hour or an hour and a half.
Add water, if necessary, for desired consistency.
Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
This chili tastes best when served with vegan sour cream and chives. You can also spoon on top of a savory waffle for a bit more substance.