June 28, 2011

El Nuevo Mexicano

El Nuevo Mexicano is a traditional Mexican restaurant in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago. They recently added an extensive all vegan menu. After watching this adorable movie at a nearby theatre, my husband and I stopped in for a bite.

Their vegan menu is awesome. Appetizers, entrees, desserts, the works. I ordered the Flautas de Verduras, three flautas filled with grilled vegetables, potatoes, Upton's Naturals chorizo and Daiya mozzarella topped with chipotle and tomatillo salsas. They're served with a mixed green salad with mango and jicama and rice or quinoa. I also ordered a side of guacamole - it's especially cooling with the spicy chorizo.  

I can't say enough good things about this dish. Spicy, crunchy, sweet and seriously filling. I LOVE that they added ten vegan options to their menu. That's huge! Hopefully other restaurants will follow suit.

No comments: