May 13, 2011

Vegiterranean Follow-Up

On my last visit to see my parents in Ohio, we had dinner at Vegiterranean and totally indulged.  Part of this is because Chef Scot, the head chef, was extremely generous and gave us a few things to sample along with our selections.

We started with the Hot Italian Banana Peppers filled with Fresh Herb Risotto, Daiya Mozzarella and a Basil Lime Sauce.  Typically I don't love banana peppers, but these were truly incredible.  The perfect amount of heat topped with a creamy risotto.
We also shared a special that evening, Fresh Greens topped with Grilled Artichokes and several dipping sauces.
My husband ordered another special, Seitan Steak with Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Greens. Wow...nothing lacking in this dish.  So comforting and perfectly seasoned.
My dad had the Italian Frito VT Chicken Scaloppini – Herb Battered and Fried VT Chicken Scaloppini served with Chrissie Fries and Braised Escarole.  Perfectly crunchy with a sweet sauce, and the Chrissie Fries are out of this world.
My mom had the Eggplant Parmesan topped with Daiya Mozzarella and fresh basil.   This dish normally comes with Gnocchi, but my mother ordered hers with spaghetti.  I love seeing vegan versions of traditional dishes, it's the first step at getting omnivores to make the transition ;)
And I ordered the Risotto Cakes – Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes, Artichokes and Smoked Garlic with Sherry, Fresh Herb Cashew Cream Sauce, served with Braised Greens.  I love risotto and making it crispy only sweetens the deal in my opinion.  With the sauce, it's a perfect combination.
Now here's where the real indulgence begins.  We ordered two desserts to share, and three came out, compliments of Chef Scot.  We took our leftovers home, as you simply cannot throw out perfectly good vegan desserts.

First, Tiramisu.  All I can say is that it was as good as it looks.
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Raspberry Sauce - so decadent, rich and lovely.  
Vanilla Raspberry Cheesecake - oh how I miss the crust on cheesecake!  I've seen vegan cheesecakes go horribly wrong but thankfully there are some (see below) that make up for all the rest.
What an awesome experience.  And a huge thanks to Chef Scot for treating us so well!

You can see my previous post on Vegiterranean here.

No comments: