February 16, 2011

Karyn's on Green - Brunch Edition

Being a vegan, going out for brunch is not always a pleasant experience.  Normally, I eat toast and hash browns if they're prepared with oil or margarine, maybe cereal with soymilk if they have it.  It's really nothing special. 

When I encounter a vegan brunch, my heart sings.  It's like when you encounter a vegan cupcake.  It's so rare and completely awesome.  Karyn's on Green is in my neighborhood in Chicago and seriously mind blowing.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm just getting to know Chicago and finding a place like Karyn's is a huge score.

They have some really creative non-alcoholic 'mocktails'.  One of my favorites is the Chairman's Cobbler made of green tea, pomegranate juice, ginger, fresh raspberries and blueberries, lemon and mint.
My husband ordered the Biscuits and Gravy with a wild mushroom and chorizo gravy and sage butter.  I've never had traditional Biscuits and Gravy, but I cannot imagine them tasting better than this.  The biscuits are soft on the inside with a lovely golden crust and the gravy is the perfect complement.
And to my sheer delight, they have Chilaquiles.  This dish is normally served with lots of cheese and eggs.  Karyn's serves their version with seared tofu, tomatillo salsa, mashed black beans + seasoned rice.  This may be THE most flawless brunch I've ever had.  The chips are crunchy and covered in tomatillo salsa, the tofu is seared to perfection, the rice is topped off with fresh green onions and the black beans are accented with pico de gallo.  The entire brunch menu is off the charts, however, I don't know if I can go back and not order the chilaquiles!  

Look out for much more on Karyn's on Green in the coming weeks.  They also own Karyn's Raw and Karyn's Cooked in Chicago.

2 comments:

bitt said...

I've heard so many good things about the karyn's restaurants.

sarah-mai said...

I've been there several times for dinner and everything has been spot on.

I'm so looking forward to trying Karyn's Cooked which serves nothing but comfort food :)