November 15, 2010

Green Market on 77th + Columbus

There's a flea market on the Upper West Side of Manhattan that has incredible produce.  I love the Union Square Market, but sometimes I don't want to venture 90 blocks for my groceries.  The 77th Street Market is only open on Sundays (Saturdays and Sundays during the holidays), but it's full of great finds. 

At least ten different kinds of apples...
Lots of heirloom tomatoes...
Pumpkins of all shapes and colors...
And Purple Cauliflower.  I've never actually tasted this type of cauliflower, but it's so lovely to look at.
And my favorite apple...Mutsu.  They're difficult to find in some parts of the country, but you can find everything in New York.
These are just the things that caught my interest.  They have everything your grocery store carries, but cheaper and local.  Produce is just a small portion of this green market.  They have furniture, clothing, jewelry, books, home goods, jams, pies, etc, etc.  And when it gets cold, one vendor always serves hot apple cider.  It's such a lovely thing to do on a Sunday, and it's right by the park so you can take your apple cider to go and stroll through Central Park.

2 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Woah, I've never seen a purple cauliflower before. It's gorgeous!

sarah-mai said...

I know, the purple with the green! It's amazing!