December 20, 2012

mercadito

My friend Susan (of Fried Tofu) and I had a very late dinner (I think it was around midnight!) last week at mercadito in Chicago. 

We started with a guacamole trio. We chose the granada - pomegranate, tomatillo pico de gallo and habanero, the calabaza - butternut squash, roasted chile serrano, pico de gallo and spiced pumpkin seeds, and the poblano - potatoes, roasted poblano, tomatillo pico de gallo, epazote and crispy potatoes. All three were delicious but the granada was my favorite, I loved the sweetness of the pomegranate seeds.
We then shared the pastor tacos with soy sauce marinated zucchini, grilled pineapple and chile de arbol salsa.
And the calabacitas tacos with the same soy sauce marinated zucchini, black bean hash, pico de gallo, avocado and tomatillo salsa.
Both were seriously delicious, but again the sweetness of the pineapple won out for me. Go figure. The staff was very helpful with vegan options, and the menu is extremely vegetarian friendly, showing a V for any items that are or can be made sans meat.

No comments: