May 26, 2010

New York in Spring . Day 1

A few weeks ago, I was in New York and got to visit some of my favorite places + a couple new spots I've been meaning to try.

First stop - Babycakes.  I love going there early in the morning when their cases are full with all different colors of pastel frosting.  My favorite breakfast treat is their savory biscuit with raspberry jam and vanilla frosting.  It's the perfect balance of sweet and savory.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   


For lunch, if I'm anywhere near a Maoz, chances are that's what I'm having.  I first discovered Maoz in Amsterdam.  It's a completely vegetarian falafel restaurant with the most amazing toppings.  You can order your falafel in a salad or in a pita, and use their toppings bar to customize it.  My toppings of choice include hummus, fried eggplant, broccoli, tomatoes and cucumbers, pickles + tahini.  Their broccoli is so good that I had to ask how they prepare it - it's flash fried and sprinkled with salt.  They also have Belgian or sweet potato fries...the Belgian fries are extra crispy.

There are several in Manhattan...I frequent the Union Square and Upper West Side locations.  Plan on taking yours to go if you're at Union Square, there aren't many seats.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 


Little Giant on the Lower East Side is a great place for dinner with friends.  At first glance, their menu isn't very vegetarian friendly, but just ask and they will be happy to accommodate.  The atmosphere is the real draw for me.  In spring and summer, they open their enormous windows so a light breeze can blow through and the entire restaurant is lit almost solely by candlelight.

Their chive biscuit is served with a sweet butter and it's completely irresistible.

As a side dish, they have polenta baked with mushrooms that is fantastic, but very rich and filling.  Their desserts are excellent (fresh strawberry shortcake in summer), but I prefer to go across the street for Babycakes.  They stay open until 10 most nights.

No comments: