March 19, 2012

Torchy's Tacos

I recently spent some time in Austin, TX and fell in love. It was my first trip there and I was blown away by the endless vegan/vegetarian options, especially at non-veg restaurants. I have so many amazing places to share in the coming weeks. 

I was told by numerous people that I had to try Torchy's Tacos. They have several locations in Austin, Dallas and Houston. I happened to visit Torchy's Trailer Park in south Austin.
They have a great outdoor seating area, perfect for Austin weather.
If you can't seem to find it, follow the lights.
They have a vegetarian Fried Avocado Taco that people go crazy over. I had heard that it can be made vegan by omitting the beans (cheese) and the poblano sauce (dairy). However, when I arrived they informed me that the fried avocados are not vegan either. They were so nice that they made me a custom taco that was 100% vegan. Sauteed seasoned potatoes, poblano peppers, salsa verde and guacamole. Incredible. You could easily have this taco for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I apologize for the picture quality...it was extremely dark!

My trip to Austin would not have been the same without The Lazy Smurf's many Austin guides. They were SO helpful in planning my trip. If you want a complete guide to the city, check out his website here.

3 comments:

xvavaveganx said...

That place looks so fun! That is so great that they were accommodating and that custom taco looks so delicious!

Torchy said...

Now that's a good lookin' taco. Glad ya' liked it!

sarah-mai said...

Amazing taco! Thanks for being so helpful and offering to make something custom for me!!!