October 25, 2011

Animals in the Arts with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Last week, I attended a presentation on Animals in the Arts by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, author of The Vegan Table, The 30-Day Vegan Challenge, Color Me Vegan, The Joy of Vegan Baking and Vegan's Daily Companion. It was a beautiful presentation of how animals have played a part in film, paintings and literature throughout history. The biggest concept that I took from the evening was something I've felt for a long time - Violence towards animals fosters violence against people and the earth. It makes perfect sense, but so many of us fail to make this connection.
Signed copies of Colleen's books were available, I picked up The Vegan Table, which I've been wanting for some time now.
And of course, there was a lovely spread of vegan eats at the event. Hummus, guacamole, veggies, tortillas and crostinis. Everything was so flavorful and so fresh. I arrived early and the guacamole was nearly gone, see left bowl :)
I also got to connect with some amazing people, both vegans and non-vegans.
Colleen has a great podcast you can subscribe to, I highly recommend it!

No comments: