July 17, 2012

Piece

Awhile ago, I set out to find the very best vegan deep dish pizza in Chicago. Two pizzas in, I realized deep dish is not for me. It definitely has its place...just not on my plate :)

What I have realized is that I've grown to love thin crust - very very thin crust. This was a revelation because I grew up with thick crust pizza and have always preferred it. I think it began with Patsy's in New York and intensified at Pitch in Omaha. Now, it's all I want in a pizza. Thin crust, slightly sweet sauce, garlic, oregano and salt in a wood or coal fired oven. 

So now I'm on a quest to find my favorite thin crust slice in Chicago. 

For my favorite non-garlic topping, the giardiniera at Piece wins hands down. It puts so much flavor into such a simple dish. (I also added broccoli, garlic and red onions).

The crust and sauce are both spot on, making for a seriously delicious slice.


No comments: